We now know that Fat is not the thing we should be most concerned about in our diets, it is sugar.
We want to express our appreciation to Dr. Mark Hyman, M.D. as we are using much of his research and writing for the foundation for our discussion today. Dr. Hyman is the founder and director of the Ultra Wellness Center and the Director of the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine. We are particularly focusing our discussion on his 10-Day Detox Diet.
After years of misdirection from the FDA (Food and Drug Administration), which emphasized the food pyramid that encouraged us to consume grains (in particular corn) to the extent that sugar became the principal ingredient of concern in most of our diets, we now know that Fat is not the thing we should be most concerned about in our diets, it is sugar.
Dr. Hyman tells us that the average American consumes about 152 pounds of sugar a year and about 146 pounds of flour. This high level of consumption is killing us with epidemics of both diabetes Type II. and obesity. In order to combat the damage to our health and our longevity we need to fight back by reducing our sugar consumption and reducing our obesity, both as a nation and as individuals.
“Being addicted to sugar is not an emotional eating disorder, it is a biological disorder.” “70% of Americans and 40% of children are overweight. Sugar is 8 times as addictive as cocaine.”
We now know (results of a new Harvard food plate) that we need less carbs and sugars and more protein and fat in our diet. We have problems accomplishing this transition in part because of the food marketing and preparation in America. Most of our prepared foods are replete with sugar additives that are addictive and damaging to our bodies. We need to focus on eating more healthily, and that means eat more fat and protein in our diets and consuming freshly prepared meals with appropriate portion size and with lots of dark green leafy vegetables. We need to work as a society on consuming less and less prepared meals and fast food meals.
In order to help us to accomplish this change in our approach to food, Dr. Hyman has created a ten step diet plan. Here are the ten steps as recommended by Dr. Hyman for detoxing from sugar in only ten days!
- Make a decision to detox: You must make a determined proactive decision or you will not be successful. This change is hard, it won’t happen accidentally.
- Be a turkey (a cold one): You must stop all forms of sugar ingestion, leave all artificial sweeteners and all flour products out of your diet for ten days. Also get rid of any trans fats or hydrogenated fats or MSG.
- Do not drink your calories: liquid sugar calories are worse than solid food with sugar or flour. This is like putting liquid sugar directly into your liver. According to Dr. Hyman, one can of soda a day “ increases a kid’s chance of being obese by 60% and a woman’s chance of type 2 diabetes by 80%.”
- Power up the day with protein: Eat protein at every meal. Be sure to eat breakfast with fresh farm eggs or a protein shake. Use nuts, seeds, eggs fish, chicken or grass fed meat for protein at every meal. Remember portion seize.
- Eat unlimited carbs: Only the non-starchy veggies (greens, broccoli family, asparagus, green beans, onions, zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant, etc. )
- Fight sugar with fat. Eat good fats along with your protein at every meal remember avocados, omega 3 oils, extra virgin olive oil, nuts and seeds.
- Be ready for emergencies: Our schedules are hectic and we need to plan ahead. You do not want to be hit by hunger or a craving and turn to fast foods or sugar products like candy bars because you have not prepared for the emergency.
- Swap distress for de-stress: learn how to take what psychologists call a mini vacation (a ten minute break of meditation, or deep breathing) Learn to visualize a relaxing scene and let yourself tune out for ten minutes at a time whenever your stress levels begin to interfere.
- Put out the fire (of inflammation). Inflammation in your body is one of the most important signs of disease risk, exhaustion, and stress in your body. It breaks down our immune system and opens us to attack by all kinds of illnesses that become crippling and deadly.
- Get your zzzs. Teach your body that you will attend to its need for rest and sleep. What modern science has taught us is that as we age getting the right amount of sleep becomes progressively more important. In order to keep our mental acuity we need to get regular and restful sleep. Otherwise our brains will not detoxify themselves from the work of the daily activities.
Remember we are talking about a 10 day detox, not a complete life of avoidance of these substances that have made us addicted. We can break the addiction cycle and live healthier more balanced lives. As Ben Franklin once said, “ moderation in all things except moderation!”
This Health cast was written and presented by Dr. Kathy Maupin, M.D., Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Expert and Author, with Brett Newcomb, MA. LPC., Family Counselor, Presenter and Author. www.BioBalanceHealth.com.