It is vital that women take their eye makeup off and cleanse their skin before bed.
Why Most Women Don’t Take Time to Wash Their Face
If you are like most of my patients, washing your face is something that gets lost in your time crunch. I know the routine! Brush your teeth, put on your jammies, go to the bathroom and collapse into bed! The life of a productive woman…but wait! You forgot something vital…you forgot to take care of your most important asset! Your face! It is vital that women take their eye makeup off and cleanse their skin, if nothing else, before bed. The act of washing your face should take only a few minutes and will both clean and exfoliate the dead skin cells from your face. For dry skin, the right product is necessary to moisturize while you cleanse your skin, and for oily skin it is imperative that your remove the oil from your skin so it doesn’t fester and become infected zits that will take weeks to heal!
The first step in cleansing your face is to identify whether your skin is dry or oily, and then pick the appropriate product to use to cleanse and exfoliate your face every night and morning. We will review the best choices in skincare from the lines of products we carry at my med spa, BioBalance Skin, but first, if your mother didn’t teach you or you didn’t listen, then here are the steps straight from the lips of the skin experts, Dermatologists:
- Use warm water
- Splash your face with warm water to dampen and then soap up your cleanser and massage it into your skin, face first and then your neck.
- If you use a mechanical face cleaner like a Clairsonic then use that to massage and exfoliate your facial skin one area at a time, without mechanical help, use your fingers to gently massage the cleanser into your skin.
- Splash off the cleanser with warm water
- Pat your skin with a soft towel to dry…don’t rub your skin!
Then most of us who are older than 35 should not just go to bed after washing our face but we should use this time to treat our skin with products to improve the health and look of our skin. Just think about it, when we sleep, we can use our sleep-hours without wearing makeup, to “treat” our skin with the necessary products.
OK I’ll do it, but most women aren’t sure what order to apply their products, so here it is!
A recommendation from the College of Dermatologists helps us out:
- Step 1: Cleanser. After removing all your makeup, cleanse your face with an oil-based or water-based cleanser—or both if you’re doing a double cleanse! …
- Step 2: Toner to remove the last environmental dirt and dead skin.
- Step 3: Serum to treat wrinkles, and sagging skin. Think of serum as “feeding” your skin.
- Step 4: Spot Treatment. …for dark spots, or acne, to bleach away brown spots etc.
- Step 5: Eye Cream under and above your eyes to ..keep the skin youthful, toned, tight
- Step 6: Moisturizer. To replace the water, we lose through our skin through evaporation and prevent wrinkling.
- Step 7: Face Oil For very dry skin so your skin will be beautiful in the morning.
Choice of Face Cleanser for You:
Now let’s look at the different kinds of face cleansers that we have chosen at BioBalance Skin for our patients. We Recommend SkinCeuticals and Defenage products for our patients, and we recommend products meant for your skin type.
Let’s start with the Cleanser that I use,
SkinCeuticals Replenishing Cleanser- BEST for ALL SKIN TYPES
– For all skin types
– Cleans without stripping the skin of moisture
– Removes Makeup
– Rich, Foamy Lather
– Leaves skin feeling silky
SkinCeuticals LHA Cleanser: BEST for AGING, OILY/ACNE PRONE SKIN
– blend of salicylic acids to address breakouts and visible signs of aging
– Provides exfoliation to unclog congested pores
– removes makeup and excess oils
DefenAge 1-Step Multi-Cleanse: BEST for AGING
– melts away surface debris, instantly dissolves heavy makeup and waterproof mascara and helps liquefy impurities in pores and air pollutants
– supports the skin’s barrier against environmental toxins
TONER: “Toners and astringents aren’t necessary for everyone and can sometimes leave skin feeling stripped, but many of our patients love the squeaky clean feel that toners can create, so if you would like to try a toner, we find great success for all skin types, with our ..
SkinCeuticals Equalizing Toner if you feel like you have excess residue or just need a cleansing boost”
– helps refresh and restore skin and exfoliate while removing excess residue
– mixed hydroxy acids and calming botanicals to help regulate the pH of the skin.
MOISTURIZER: Many of us with dry skin and some with oily and combination skin lose moisture while we sleep and need a protective barrier to hold the moisture in which prevents wrinkles and thinning of the skin. We recommend….
SkinCeuticals Daily Moisture
– Restores and maintains moisture
– Normal to Oily Skin Types
– helps reduce the appearance of pore size
Triple Lipid Restore for All Patients and Skin Types
– Ideal for Everyone
– Night time, Daytime if needed (layer with sunscreen)
– Restores essential skin lipids
– Improves the look of skin fullness, texture, and pore appearance
– lightweight and fast-absorbing
Now you have the information you need to make an educated decision about what you are going to do with your skin care, face washing, toning and or moisturizing. Remember if you don’t take care of your skin before bed you are missing the best chance to have 8 hours of skin care every day!