Dr. Maupin’s Low Carb Diet
This eating plan is the short version for women and men who are post-andropause (over 40) or Polycystic Ovarian patients, also patients with hypoglycemia, obesity and/ or Insulin Resistance.
This simple eating plan where you count only carbohydrates allows you to eat any amount of food other than carbohydrates. This plan is successful for patients when metabolism begins to slow down after 40.
You must spend time learning the foods that are carbohydrates, but this does not require buying special food, or ordering large amounts of food through the mail. You just have to do a little planning every week. In general after menopause, eating as a vegan, or vegetarian is counterproductive to weight loss because you need essential proteins in meat, and B12, to lose weight.
You must eat a total of 6 feedings a day, each with protein, avoid alcohol, limit caffeine to two doses a day, exercise more than a total of 4 hours a week, avoid eating a carbohydrate without a protein, take a nutritional supplement like Vemma daily, and drink water with every feeding.
This plan differs from others in that it does not count carbohydrates from fruit or vegetables except bananas and potatoes.
The Do’s of the Eating Plan
- Eat 6 meals a day
- Eat no more than 25 grams of carb per feeding X6
- Eat all the fresh fruit and vegetables you want except potatoes and corn
- Eat all the fruit you want except Bananas.
- Don’t eat a carb without a protein
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day
- Do not eat canned food
- Take a multi-vitamin or Vemma once a day
- Carry foods with you so you make sure you eat your necessary feedings. The obvious choices for this are unsalted nuts, cheese squares, greek yogurt, cheese sticks, veggies with ranch dressing, apples and peanut butter.
- Approved Sweetener is Splenda and Truvia
The NO’s of the Diet
- No “low fat” foods
- No alcohol
- No more than two caffeinated beverages a day
- No skipping meals
- No sugared soda
- No honey, syrup or nutrisweet.
Exercise an hour 3 X a week or 30 minutes daily.
Only weigh yourself once a week.
Once you achieve your ideal weight or size, then you can add back some carbohydrates, but continue to eat 6 times a day, and you may not add back sugared soda, sugary alcoholic drinks, large amounts of bread, cookies or cake.
If you restart your old eating habits again you will feel sick, and you will go back to your old weight quickly. The amount of carbohydrate Americans eat is excessive, and it stresses our pancreas and increases our risk of diabetes.
To order Vemma go to kathymaupin.vemma.com.
To Order Medifast shakes to substitute for a meal, order by contacting Troy Lee at Medifast, 1-800-638-7867, ext 8182. Tell him Dr. Maupin is your physician and her Physician’s id is #70006. He will take care of everything from there.